Job DescriptionPOSITION SUMMARY
As an advocate for the patient, Hepatitis B Research Assistant Coordinator helps patients newly or previously diagnosed with hepatitis B navigate the hepatitis B testing and follow up care pathway. The Hepatitis B Research Assistant Coordinator role supports the Hepatitis B Research Coordinator in all aspects of the position.
SPECIFIC RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
Patient communication: the Hepatitis B Research Assistant Coordinator will schedule laboratory and diagnostic testing using phone calls or patient secure messages (on KP HealthConnect). The Hepatitis B Research Assistant Coordinator will communicate with patients around results or clinical questions, as appropriate.
Patient information management (registry use and management): the Hepatitis B Research Assistant Coordinator will accurately help maintain a registry of hepatitis B and hepatitis C positive patients and patients requiring hepatocellular carcinoma surveillance. The Hepatitis B Research Assistant Coordinator will work closely with the Hepatitis B Research Coordinator to keep accurate records of patient results, progress through the testing pathway, communications, and patient and physician outreach. The Coordinators will work together to keep these records up to date at all times.
Care coordination: the Hepatitis B Research Assistant Coordinator will coordinate care, in tandem with the Hepatitis B Research Coordinator and other care team members. This includes tracking patient progress by monitoring charts in KP HealthConnect, communicating with physicians (when appropriate) and the care team. The Hepatitis B Research Assistant Coordinator will be a part of the regional hepatitis team.
CHARACTERISTIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Track patients through hepatitis B testing and follow up surveillance.
• Schedule appointments and follow up if needed.
• Maintain thorough and organized notes and patient registry using KP HealthConnect.
• Understand the multi-step hepatitis B testing care pathway.
• Answer basic patient questions about the disease within scope of practice or ability.
• Send educational material to the patient.
• Complete all necessary clinical documentation in KP HealthConnect for activities (includes completing phone encounters, secure messages, staff messages).
• Promptly alert the Hepatitis B Research Coordinator, physicians or care team to missing results or other issues.
• Foster and maintain cooperative relationships with other departments, patients, medical staff, and sponsors.
• Complete appropriate training.
• Clinical Assistant (CA) or equivalent experience.
• Experience in hepatitis or infectious disease patient care strongly preferred.
• Enthusiastic about performance improvement and quality improvement.
• Proficient in EPIC or KP HealthConnect.
• Comfortable managing and protecting sensitive patient health information.
• Ability to maintain meticulous records.
• Strong written and oral communication skills (bilingual a plus).